Sansevieria is a popular houseplant, and you can see it many times around your daily routines such as houses, offices, and other places. People like it more and display it for your interior design. Furthermore, some people love nature; that’s why they place it to enhance the beauty of office restaurants, balconies, and galleries for the natural environment.
The scientific name of this plant is ” Sansevieria,” and it is also called ” Snake Plant ” because of its look. Snake plants are found in South Asia and Africa. The Sansevieria plant belongs to the ” Asparagaceae ” family. It is popular due to its easy to grow and low maintenance quality.
This looks beautiful with full green, long fleshy leaves that can grow upto 14 inches long and 3 inches wide. It can grow well indoors and outdoors. But best suites for indoor houseplants. The best and unique thing about the Sansevieria plant is that it can produce oxygen at night, a great aspect for humans.
Types of Sansevieria
Sansevieria plant ( Snake Plants) has many varieties you can find with different names and looks, but we are discussing here top most common Sansevieria varieties are
- Sansevieria Trifasciata
- Sansevieria Zeylanica
- Sansevieria Cylindrica
This is one of the most popular and Lovely houseplants for house, office, restaurants.people who want to search for the best indoor plant for your interior is the best option for you. This is also another spice of Sansevieria and found in west Africa. This species with the same Sansevieria family and genus has many other common names such as Viber, mother in law’s tongues, and saint George sword because of its shape, colors, and nature.
This looks gorgeous with long green leaves and grows through the base rosette, making it the best ornaments for indoor and outdoor houseplants. Moreover, Sansevieria trifasciata has many further varieties with different names and sizes, and colors. We are enlisted here
- Sansevieria trifasciata Black Coral
- Sansevieria trifasciata Laurentii
- Sansevieria trifasciata Moonshine
- Sansevieria trifasciata Hahnii
- Sansevieria trifasciata Golden Hahnii
- Sansevieria trifasciata Diamond Flame
- Sansevieria trifasciata Black Dragon
Sansevieria trifasciata can grow 6-10 inches long and greenish-white. It is also slightly fragmented.
Sansevieria zeylanica belong to the same genus and family of snake plant ( Sansevieria ). This is found in South Asia. Thus the zeylanica plant looks similar to the Sansevieria Trifasciata species and closely related to nature and manners. The Sansevieria zeylanica house plant can grow well in the winter season and have all care tips and propagation methods like the Sansevieria trifasciata.
The shape of this zeylanica succulent is long, about 3 to 4 feet, with skin and white stripes on dark green color on the entire leaves. Easy to grow in temp below 10 Fahrenheit, and the growth of this succulent is slow and requires watering when soil is completely dry. This cannot tolerate high full-time watring. Well, grow in winter and spring.
This is also called african spear plants in Australia and Canada. In the United States, people are not familiar with this plant. S. Cylindrica succulent also has the same characteristics as the Sansevieria family or species. This plant gives you the ease of maintenance and durability with little care.
It can not tolerate high direct sunlight. It requires water monthly in winter and every weekend in the summer season. It can not take cold weather and loves to grow if the temperature is above 50 Fahrenheit with Well-drained soil. It looks like beautiful ornaments for a desktop table and a living room table. Enhance the beauty of the place.
The propagation of Sansevieria varieties such as laurentii, trifasciata, cylindrical, and zeylanica are the same and easy to propagate. Just follow these steps for the excellent propagation and maintenance of Sansevieria houseplants. We are using a division method to propagate fastly and easily.
- If you are thinking to repot and propagation of Sansevieria, first of all, remove the rhizome offsets of the plant
- Second, you should let them dry.
- Cut the leaf from the base with a hard and sharp cutter; make sure you cut 3-4 rhizomes from the bottom of the Sansevieria plant.
- If its soil is completely dry, then put the well-drained soil in the wide-open pot.
- Push it on the soil approx 1 to 2 inches on the ground. And check it one to two times once a week.
- If the 2″ of the soil is too dry, then sprinkle some water on it. And let it for some time to grow.
- It can grow well in temperature 20 degrees Fahrenheit in summer spring seasons.
You should know about Sansevieria’s care and maintenance. We are pointing some, most importantly, caring and maintenance points you can easily get started with.
- Be careful when watering the Sansevieria succulent. It doesn’t require overwatering
- Allow soil to dry before watering
- Maintain humidity
- Don’t let the soil too wet and too dry make it slightly moist to grow fastly.
- It can grow well in temperature 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Love to grow in winter and spring seasons
- Not required fertilization
- Feed the succulent in twice a week
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor
- Repotting not tough
- Need well-drained soil
- Need repotting 3 to 4 years after
- Need bright light and avoid direct sunlight.
- If roots are affected, you have to remove and cut the yellow and dead leaves from the plant.