This is a small bug and called with different names such as roly-poly, pill bug, potato bug, and woodlice are common names of rollie pollie. Rollie pollie belongs to the Armadillidium Vulgare Family from the class of Malacostraca. The name of rollie pollie holds due to its movements; when it’s disturbed by something, it will roll like a ball and change its position. It looks like a pill, and that’s why European call it pill bug.
What is a Pill Bug?
Rollie pollie size is about ¼ to 5-8 inches long. They have seven pairs of legs and two antennas. The color of pill bugs is mostly gray or black and brown. The body shape of pill bugs is oval, and when they start moving and rolling, they turn their body into a ball shape. The common name of rollie pollie is pill bug. They are mostly found in the United States.
Rollie Pollie (Pill Bugs) Habitats And Food
Pillbugs are mostly found in moist places. They are living in pots where some space is available, in pine straw or composite piles. Rollie pollie likes to eat and stay in wet soil or use living plants for food such as leaves, stem, roots, tuber, fruits, flowers. They damage their plants entirely. The agricultural system is well known for its pillbug.
Rollie pollie holds and habitual yourself in heavy rain or flood situations. They also feed many plants such as corn, peas, melon, chard, cucumber, beans, or leaves of Spanish and lettuce and some more. They can use snakeskin and dead insects to eat when they are hungry.
Are pill bugs insects?
Actually, Not sure yet, Some people say that it is an insect type because of its structure of the body and having legs, etc. But in fact, they belong to the crustaceans family, that’s why they are not an insect at all. They belong to lobsters, crab, and shrimp bugs.
How to get rid of Rolly Pollies in House, Garden, and Bathroom
Pillbugs or rollie Pollie does not cause any severe problems, but it damages your house wood furniture plants and other areas. If you need to get rid of pill bugs, insects see these useful points on how to get rid of pill bugs in the house, garden, and bathroom.
- They live in moist or wet soil. Firstly you should clean your washroom and house.
- In the garden, you need to pick and remove all pill bugs from grass and leaves.
- You can find rollie pollie under the rubble and composite piles, and pine straw. You should remove it easily if you find it.
- You can use neem oil because they don’t like their taste, and they will die using it.
- You can use remove rollie pollie from the garden area through Monterey Garden Insect Spray.
- You can use some fruits for picking the bugs. When they come to eat, you can pick it easily.
- Use concrete surfaces for preventing the pill bugs.
- Then it would be best if you stored firewood off the ground and put them far from the place where you find rollie pollie.
- Your house should be well ventilated and have the ability to prevent bacteria and insects.
- The best way to remove all pill bugs from your house and bathroom you should have a vacuum cleaner that is very helpful for removing all rollie pollie in the home.